A hot tub is a fantastic way to ease out aches and pains and feel thoroughly pampered. It can also be a wonderful sensory experience that brightens the mind and uplifts the soul – and all it takes is a few drops of the right essential oil. The combination of aromatherapy and your hot tub is heaven scent. From a soothing soak, to an enlivening experience it’s a luxurious way to enhance your day.
The impact of aromatherapy
Aromatherapy is the therapeutic use of scented essential oils that can be inhaled, massaged into the skin or added in a carrier oil to water. Different oils have a different purpose but all serve to add something wonderful to your hot tub experience, whether you’re looking to soothe or stimulate. Studies have shown that aromatherapy can have an impact on many areas of life, from improving sleep and relieving anxiety and depression, through to reducing pain.
How to use aromatherapy in your hot tub
Aromatherapy works by stimulating the smell receptors in the human nose. When these are stimulated they send messages to the limbic system in the brain via the nervous system. If you want to use aromatherapy in your hot tub then blend your chosen essential oils with a carrier oil, such as rapeseed oil or olive oil, and then add to the hot tub. You can also use an aromatherapy oil burner placed by the side of the hot tub if you prefer not to add the oils to the water – the heat and steam from the hot tub will help the burner to disperse the oils and, in the warmth of the hot tub, your body will be more receptive.
A brief guide to essential oils for your hot tub
If you’re planning on aromatherapy for your hot tub then choosing the right essential oil is key.
- Bergamot – an essential oil with a fresh, citrusy flavour, Bergamot stimulates the liver and digestive system and is a tonic for days when you feel down or depressed.
- Marjoram – you can use a few drops of Marjoram in a hot tub to ease symptoms of asthma or sinusitis. It also combats fatigue and stress and helps with circulatory issues.
- Rosemary – this oil is a mental stimulant and used in aromatherapy to enhance mental focus and brain function. It also acts as an analgesic an can help to relieve aching muscles and provide relief from migraines or headaches.
- Tea Tree – Tea Tree is very well known for its healing properties, is a natural immune booster and antiseptic. It has a very positive impact on muscle aches and can be particularly soothing if you have the flu.
- Lavender – one of the most relaxing essential oils there is, lavender is perfect for stress relief and winding down from a tough day. It also has wonderful anti-inflammatory properties.
Using aromatherapy with your hot tub will deliver the full spa experience at home and provides a way to perk up, wind down and even relieve physical aches and pains. If you’d like to own this luxurious experience in your own home, we can help you make the perfect hot tub choice. Speak with one of the team today.